Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Breakfast of Champions

One of my favorite things about the weekend is breakfast. During the week there just isn't time to enjoy anything more than cereal and milk, or, if I'm lucky, a fresh fruit smoothy. So, when Saturday roles around and I can start looking forward to crispy bacon, fluffy pancakes and perfectly fried eggs I'm one happy girl.

As I've mentioned before, we get a CSA box (Community Supported Agriculture) and so I like to incorporate those veggies into all meals of the day and breakfast is not exception. This week the box included broccoli and green onions as well as strawberries so it was a tough choice between french toast with strawberries or one of my personal favorites, potato hash. The potato hash won.

Some fresh, local AND organic product from my farm box

Usually when you get a diner-made hash the potatoes are either diced or shredded, but I like mine sliced into discs. That way the potatoes have a lot of surface area with which to collect all of the flavor. Another trick I prefer for hashes is placing a fried egg on top of the hash, so that the yolk runs down into the potatoes.

Sauteing potatoes in bacon - perfection? Pretty close!

For this week's hash I was lucky enough to have a perfect storm of ingredients that made a meal worth drooling over. I had bacon, cheese, fingerling potatoes and organic, cage free eggs. Mixing in some fresh broccoli and green onion added both color and sublime flavor.

And Voila! I could eat this breakfast everyday!

This, my friends, is the way to rock a weekend!

RECIPE
Sunday Morning Hash
serves 2

2-3 fingerling potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
5 slices of bacon, cut into half inch pieces
1 cup broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
2 green onions, white and very light green segments sliced
salt and pepper to taste

- Place the potato slices in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon pieces until almost desired crispiness.
- Add the broccoli, potato slices and garlic and saute until the potatoes are cooked through and you start to smell the garlic.
- Serve the potato hash onto two plates, reserving some of the bacon grease that should remain at the bottom of the pan.
- Heat the bacon fat on medium high heat and crack the eggs in. Cook for one minute and flip onto the other side for another 10 seconds (you want the yolk to be runny).
- Place the eggs on top of the hash and top with shredded cheese and green onions.
- Serve immediately and enjoy the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment